And I progress further…

First a few thoughts on the pandemic: yes, I might end up with egg on my face, but as for now, I appear to be gainfully employed, am ok with my job and I do not have the family concerns that those with kids have.
So…so far, so good. This pandemic, while it has affected my routine, hasn’t been THAT bad for me. I am glad that I filled up on games last year though, as I am not getting any this year, even if, by some miracle, they have them. I am sitting out.

One COVID 19 note though: many focus on the 1-2 percent mortality rate (which is high for such a contagious disease). But about 20 percent of those who get infected require hospitalizaion. And about 1/3 of those who do not need the hospital end up with a very lengthy recovery.

So, do the math: you get infected with COVID19: there is a 20 percent chance that you’ll need the hospital and let’s assume that this is where the deaths come from. And if you are one of the 80 percent that doesn’t need the hospital, you have about a 33 percent chance of having a very long recovery. So, doing the math: .2 + .8(.333) = .467 and, well, that isn’t “just fine.” This is nasty stuff. Yes, SOME will be ok, even asymptomatic. But almost half will have a very rough time of it.

Survival is NOT “just fine.”

Workout notes: Deadlifts, then an easy 5 mile walk; saving it for tomorrow. I’d like to go 10 miles tomorrow.

Deadlifts (hex bar, low handle): 10 x 134, 10 x 184, 5 x 228, 4 x 250, (chickened out on 261), 5 x 233; I probably left a couple of reps in me.
The walk: 1:23 for 5.1 miles, a mix of my 2.1 mile course and my 3 mile W Peoria course; kind of slow but deliberate. No glute pain at all.

By the way: my early progression was this:

August 5, 2019: managed a “handles up” hex dead 225 (1 rep)
August: typical sets were 4 x 175, 4 x 195 (handles up)
September: 4 x 205 head dead (handles up)
November: got 4 x 225 hex dead, handles DOWN
December: got 1 x 225 bar dead, then 4 x 225
December 20, 2019: got 1 x 230 bar deadlift
DEcember 25: got 1 x 233 bar deadlift (home)
Dec 27: got 1 x 235 dead
Dec 29: got 1 x 240 dead (bar)

Jan 11: got 245 hex dead (handles down)
Jan 25: got 255, then 260 conventional dead
Feb 1: got 255, 260 Sumo, 6 x 233 conventional
Feb 8: got 266 conventional, 5 x 238 Sumo.
April 5, 5 x 244
April 18: 5 x 244

I kind of bottomed out..didn’t progress…then the pandemic hit.

I got 250 a few weeks ago, then went for a double the next week, triple the week after and four today. I have to take heart: I couldn’t do 225, handles down, a year ago.